WoodmenLife will pay a $25,000 member benefit if a good-standing member is killed while performing his/her duties as a nonmilitary First Responder. First Responders may include firefighters, EMT/paramedics, police or a person performing a supporting role to such individuals. Other conditions may also apply.
Conditions and Limitations
- Must be a good-standing member of WoodmenLife on the date of death.
- Member must be an officially registered non-military first responder. First responders include firefighters, EMT/ paramedics, police or a person performing a supporting role to such individuals.
- Application must be received in the Home Office within one year of the date of death.
- The benefit will be paid if the member dies or sustains injuries that result in death while in the performance of his or her duties, or as a result of an accident, while responding to or returning from an emergency. A member who dies from a heart attack or stroke following a non-routine stressful or strenuous physical emergency activity is in the performance of his or her duties if death occurs no later than 24 hours after the activity.
- The benefit is available to be paid to the family of a good-standing member who dies while performing his/her duties.
- WoodmenLife will pay a $25,000 benefit to the family of the deceased. If there is no spouse, child, sibling, relative, or anyone else responsible for paying expenses, the benefit may not be paid.
- WoodmenLife must receive satisfactory proof of death. Documents required include:
a) report prepared by law enforcement officials;
b) documentation establishing that the deceased was an officially registered first responder; and
c) death certificate.
- Good-standing Benefit Member – a WoodmenLife member who has made all payments according to the terms of the benefit certificate.
- A person performing a “supporting role” to the first responder must be an officially registered member of a fire department, rescue unit, police department, etc. in order to qualify. Supporting roles include trainees, explorers, dispatchers, office personnel, search and rescue teams, etc.
Before you begin, don't forget
- Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list to ensure you receive all system communications.
- Save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- For questions about the First Responder Benefit, please contact your WoodmenLife Representative or a Fraternal Benefits Specialist at 1-402-271-7233.
- If you need assistance with the application portal or other technical assistance with the Submittable website, don't hesitate to use the Submittable Help Center and reach out to Customer Support.